Colchester Area Guide
Colchester is a town steeped in history. It served as the first capital of Roman Britain and makes a claim to be the oldest recorded town in Britain. The Normans’ lasting legacy was the largest Norman castle ever built and remains the town’s key tourist attraction. Between 1550 and 1600, a large number of Protestant weavers and clothmakers from Flanders, fleeing persecution, emigrated to Colchester and the surrounding areas where they were affectionately referred to as the 'Dutch'. An area in Colchester town centre is still known as the Dutch Quarter and many buildings there date from the Tudor period.
Things to do.
It’s finally Spring! It feels like we have been waiting for this moment for a long time. The winter has been long, grey and miserable. However, it wasn’t too cold and you may have noticed that plants and trees have already begun to bloom. Spring is the time for new beginnings and the outside becomes more appealing. We begin to think of weekends in the garden, late night BBQs and family days out. Our ‘what’s on’ guides for your local area are designed to make things easier for you. We don’t want you to have to trawl through different pages on the internet to find out what’s going on.
Our guide for last month was based solely around half term and activities to do with your children. This month, we’re providing you with things to do for adults and families. Palmer and Partners is a premium estate agents in Colchester. Our office is located in the heart of the town and our team members all live in the area. All of the activities that have been chosen are things our branch would do themselves.
- Colchester Farmers Market. This is always held on the first Friday of every month at Colchester Arts Centre. The market is paradise for food lovers as local producers bring their products to showcase. You will be able to sample foods and purchase them to take home and cook a delicious meal! There is an array of products such as cheese, chutney, baked goods, fruit and veg. It’s a fantastic way to support the local community and know where your food has come from.
- Rum and Caribbean taster evening. This unusual event is held at The Three Wise Monkeys in the centre of town. It is being held on the 3rd March. You will be able to sample various Caribbean dishes prepared in house, and they will be served with different types of rum. The pairings have been decided by experts. You can book tickets here.
- Essex Book Festival. This is an event that has been going for years now and has proven to be very popular around the region. The University of Essex hold many events and on the 14th and 15th March, there are workshops all around the town. Professors and students from the University run them, as well as well known authors. There are events for both adults and children - it’s a great way to get creative.
- Essex Vegan Festival. This is on the 14th March at Charter Hall. It has been established for a few years now and has gone from strength to strength. Veganism is on the rise and more companies are now going down the road to ‘cruelty free’ food. Tickets are only £4.00, and even if you’re not a vegan, it’s a good event to try as it can be quite an eye opener.
- Silent Disco, 20th March, The Jobserve Community Stadium. Tribute and music nights are becoming increasingly popular at the football stadium. When Colchester United are not playing at home, there are often comedy or music nights. We have selected the silent disco because who doesn’t love a cheeky night out? The stadium is ideal because you can purchase food and drink there and you don’t have to walk around in the cold! Tickets are £10 each and you can purchase them here.
Everyone at Palmer and Partners hope that you enjoyed reading our suggestions. If you’re thinking of selling your home, or even jumping on the property ladder, get in touch with one of our expert team members today on 01206 572233. As a local estate agents, we can guarantee you will be dealt with professionally, respectfully and honestly. We also have branches in Ipswich, Sudbury and Clacton. To view our latest properties on the market, click here.